- 2.5 days
Who is this course recommended for?
• Workplace first aiders, or those responsible for first aid rooms and facilities; and
• Those who wish to complete a HLT21112 Certificate II in Emergency Medical Service First Response, HLT33112 Certificate III in Basic Health Care or HLT41012 Certificate IV in Health Care (Ambulance).
Specific licencing/regulatory requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training should be obtained from the relevant national/state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authorities. However, St John Ambulance recommends that you refresh your first aid training every 12 months, which is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines that state CPR skills should be refreshed every 12 months.
Course Duration: 2 ½ days
This course covers the following:
- Respond to an emergency situation;
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures;
- Coordinate first aid activities until arrival of medical assistance;
- Perform advanced resuscitation;
- Determine workplace first aid requirements;
- Establish and maintain workplace first aid facilities;
- Maintain workplace first aid records;
- Review the provision of first aid in the workplace;
- Communicate details of the incident; and
- Evaluate the incident and own performance.
- Follow DRSABCD in line with ARC guidelines, including:
- Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor;
- Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface;
- Perform at least 2 minutes of bag-valve-mask ventilation and at least 2 minutes of compression during a two rescuer procedure on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor;
- Respond appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting;
- Manage the unconscious breathing casualty.
- Follow the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED); and
- Follow single rescue procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions.
- Respond to at least three simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting, including:
- Demonstrate safe manual handling techniques;
- Conduct a visual and verbal secondary survey assessment of the casualty;
- Assess vital signs (respirations, pulse and temperature);
- Communicate effectively with a first aid team providing direction and coordination of other first aiders;
- Clear the airway using a suction device;
- Post-incident debrief and evaluation;
- Provide an accurate verbal and written report of the incident;
- Apply first aid procedures for the following:
- Allergic reaction;
- Bleeding control;
- Choking and airway obstruction;
- Conduct a basic triage for multiple casualty incident;
- Envenomation (using pressure immobilisation);
- Fractures, sprains and strains (using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation principles);
- Head, neck and spinal injuries (using immobilisation principles);
- Respiratory distress - including asthma;
- Seizures - including epilepsy;
- Locate and interpret workplace policies and procedures; and
- Select and insert an oropharyngeal airway adjunct.
- Administer oxygen to an unconscious/conscious casualty, including:
- Select and prepare correct oxygen equipment; and
- Administer oxygen safely at correct flow rate.
- Monitor and coordinate maintenance of resuscitation equipment:
- Cleaning and decontamination; and
- Checking and diagnosis of faults.
- Conduct a workplace risk assessment;
- Develop a first aid response plan including strategies for management of incidents;
- Use a first aid checklist to service a workplace first aid kit for supplies replacement and equipment maintenance
- Maintain first aid equipment and resources according to manufacturer’s instructions; and
- Use and maintain documentation required by the workplace and regulatory authorities.
Completion of online pre-learning is required prior to arrival at the face-to-face session in class.
There are no pre-requisites associated with HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
The competency outcomes for HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set encompass:
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid;
- HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation;
- HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and resources:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support; and
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
As a result, six (6) units of competency and HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set will be awarded on successful completion of HLTSS00027 Occupational First Aid Skill Set.